There are many factors that go into finding the best break to surf in Bali on any given day – including swell size, tide, and time of year. However, one aspect that is often overlooked is advice from local surfers who know the ins and outs of all the waves on the island. So if you’re looking for the best place to catch some waves in Bali, check out this Bali Surf Guide from Surf Paradise Bali, then get in touch to book your session!
Why go to Bali for surf?
Bali is a renowned surf destination for good reason. With an abundance of waves to choose from, both beginners and experienced surfers can find the perfect spot to catch some waves. Bali is also home to some of the world’s best surf schools, so if you’re new to the sport, you can get started in no time. And when you’re not surfing, you can enjoy all that this beautiful island has to offer, from its stunning beaches and temples to its delicious food and friendly people. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your Bali surf trip today with the help of our Bali surf guide below!
What are the best areas for surfing in Bali?
Bali is a renowned surf destination, offering some of the best waves in the world. While there are many great surf spots scattered across the island, some areas are better than others when it comes to surfing. Here are a few of the best areas for surfing in Bali:
- Uluwatu – Uluwatu is one of the most popular surf spots in Bali, and for good reason. The waves here are consistent and offer a great ride. Depending on conditions, it can be a great spot for both beginners and experienced surfers alike.
- Canggu – Canggu is another great area for surfing in Bali. The crowd can make the waves here pretty challenging, but with the right guidance, you can find a spot that is suitable for beginners as well as surfers with some experience.
- Nusa Dua – Nusa Dua is home to some of the best waves in Bali. Being on the East coast, it’s best to surf here during the rainy season, from November to April. Depending on the tide, you can find a break that is suitable for every level of surfer.
- Kuta – Kuta offers a plethora of waves to suit every level and almost every swell. Generally, it’s best to surf the breaks around here on a mid to high tide.
How do you get the best swell and tidal conditions for surfing in Bali?
You can find amazing waves in Bali pretty much all year round. Generally, the biggest swells are in July and August, which is Bali’s dry season so the trade winds come from the East, meaning the West coast is where you’ll find the best conditions. In the rainy season, which runs from October to April, the East coast and Nusa Dua offer the best conditions. Often, the best time of day to surf is early in the morning or late in the afternoon, when the winds are likely to be lighter.
How to find the perfect wave on a busy day?
One of the most popular questions we get asked is how to find the perfect wave on a busy day. With so many surfers in the water, it can be tough to know where to start. Here are a few tips to help you out:
- Listen in: Talk to the locals or other surfers in the area. They will (sometimes) be happy to share their knowledge of the best waves in town.
- Dedicate some time: Don’t expect to find the perfect wave as soon as you hop on your scooter. It takes years to build up the knowledge of surf spots across a whole island. So if you’ve not got years, you’ll have to prepare for some hits and misses – or hire a guide!
- Have fun: At the end of the day, remember that surfing is supposed to be fun. Don’t get too stressed out about finding the perfect break.
The Bali Surf Guide
With so many great surf breaks in Bali, there is no reason not to get out there and start exploring the amazing waves that Bali has to offer.
If you’d like to hire a guide to take you to the best spot for your skill level and conditions on the day, get in touch with Agie at Surf Paradise Bali today.